TheVicarageQuest

I have been absent from this world for a while. I am preparing to leave Missouri and head to Illinois for a year on a vicarage assignment. I am hoping through the nest year I will be more faithful in corresponding what is transpiring in Staunton through this medium.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Chapter the Eighteenth: Crash and Burn


There is that obvious fact that at one point or another at this time or that, there is going to be that one circumstance that leaves you flat on your face and wishing you were at home. For whatever reason you failed to comprehend some matter or disregarded some sign that told you to stop and like a stupid human you did not. The cost, a little bit of pride, perhaps a little bit of dignity, and oh yes your skin.
Such an occasion is in the fore-front today and here is a first hand look. Yesterday morn we, the 9 new English teachers of Concordia Middle School were out and about on our very first bike ride and tour of the city. It was absolutly great to see the city by bike and be able to stop anywhere, go inside little shops, points of interest such as a very large Taoist Temple. During the day I noticed that the pedal on my bike as becoming inreasingly wobbly almost to the point of my foot falling off at certain times during pedaling. So I made a mental note and kept right on going, trying to figure out the most effective way to get around the problem, instead of taking the time to fix it, and just keep going along with the flow of the tour. Well a little more time passed and we were on our way back to the school and I somehow forgot this very important piece of information, ignoring the signs, and stood up on the pedal to give myself a little extra push, and the pedal snapped off. What happened next I can only be told, because I remember not much of the flight, but it was said to be perhaps the greatest human airobatics maneuver since that kid jumped onto the net in Yankee Stadium. Over the handle bars I went, sliding and scraping my way to a stop. The casualties, my pride and my skin mostly. What is the point of this grand ole story well let me just tell you, if you have a bike and something is wrong, get off and fix it, and if you cannot fix it, find someone that can. THis is the reason why I think common sense is not too common.

Just Going...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home