TheVicarageQuest

I have been absent from this world for a while. I am preparing to leave Missouri and head to Illinois for a year on a vicarage assignment. I am hoping through the nest year I will be more faithful in corresponding what is transpiring in Staunton through this medium.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Homiletic reflection:
Being able to preach the Word, as Paul charged to Timothy, is never boring. I was reading through the L.C. (Large Catechism) this morning; focusing specifically on the third commandment and its meaning.

I came accross the sentences towards the explanations close, pg. 399 in the B.o.C. (Book of Concord) 96,97, where Luther goes onto to tell the reader who is in violation of the third commandment by making the day of rest and worship unholy. Not only is it the swine-like-drunkard, but it is also any man who comes to the Service of the Word as they would to any other entertainment, "who only from the force of habit go to hear the sermon and then leave again with as little knowledge at the end of the year as at the beginning." Luther might as well have said, "Let him who has ears, hear."

I am only reflecting on this more heavily today because in my first homlietical meditation and sermon to Zion, I hit on this point and warned the people not to fall into idle contrived practice in worship. "Do not come on account of tradition alone, thinking that by your entering through the doors, opening the hymnal, singing your hymns that you are holy and right with God" I think those were the words I used. And then, as if to breathe life and justice into the Word and the Holy Spirits work of hardening hearts or revealing Christ to destroy all that stands between us and the Almighty as well as what Luther has given us to read, mark, and learn, a parishioner comes up to me and says, "that was a longer sermon than we are used to, but it was pretty good, you had me at the beginning, then you lost me, then you had me again, then you lost me, but it was pretty good."

Blessed be the Father, Son, and Spirit, who have worked in the narrative of human time to reveal to us poor beggars the Word of Truth which is Eternal Life and Restoration for the Faithful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home