TheVicarageQuest

I have been absent from this world for a while. I am preparing to leave Missouri and head to Illinois for a year on a vicarage assignment. I am hoping through the nest year I will be more faithful in corresponding what is transpiring in Staunton through this medium.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Willimon Quote

When reflecting on the baptismal rites of the ancient church Willimon looks to Hippolytus' observations and notes

"These rites of Baptism expected a decisive ending of the old life, transformation through the process of initiation, and the beginning of a new life. Through instruction, dramatic rite, exorcism, and careful, communal examination, these ancient congregations prepared candidates for the shock of ethical transformation brought about by freeing a person from the grip of the old pagan gods" W.W., Peculiar Speech, 60.

What I appreciate the most concerning this entry, and indeed the whole book, is that Willimon places the responsibility for Baptismal speech on the entire congregation, not only the pastor. I am attracted to this type of speaking because all too often I feel like congregations want pastors to BE the only Baptized member of the congregation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home