TheVicarageQuest

I have been absent from this world for a while. I am preparing to leave Missouri and head to Illinois for a year on a vicarage assignment. I am hoping through the nest year I will be more faithful in corresponding what is transpiring in Staunton through this medium.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Labor Day Break


Long weekends do not have as much allure as they had months ago. I spent Sunday evening and the majority of Monday fishing for "slab" Crappie in my Father-in-Laws tank (or pond as it might be known in the Mid-West). I do not know the exact words to use to describe just how nice it is to be out on the water in a boat fishing. The ancient Greek understanding of the word "perfect" comes to mind. Not perfect as in "no fault" but perfect as in "doing exactly what a thing is supposed to do" that kind of perfect.

I felt like I was out there on that water doing exactly what I was supposed to do for that given time. I was focused in thought and determination. Poised and ready for the strike of whatever might have been swimming nearby. Anticipating he braggadocios clamor that might be had if I did find the place where the Crappie rest.

As you can tell I was successful in my venture and was able to employ my story telling technique. However, I am rather envious that such perfection still remains elusive in the area of Homiletical reflection and concentration. I disappoint myself by having such a high view of the preached Word and yet poorly execute the writing of a homily. The problem is not a lack of information or thought but a lack of perfection in the carrying out of the writing. I do not yet feel like I am doing what I ought when I am finished, and that is most distressing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home